Monday, November 1, 2010

영어 Hint of the Day #21: It's been one of those days. I got stood up from my tutee. Almost correct, but...

영어 Hint of the Day #21: "It's been one of those days. I got stood up from my tutee."  Almost correct, but...

Today, on me2day.net, I found the following comment, which is almost correct.
"It's been one of those days. I got stood up from my tutee."

The word "tutee" isn't common.  It may have been that the person making the comment was the teacher, and the "tutee" was the student.  If that was the case, then the correct word would have been "student," and not "tutee."  "Tutee" isn't a widely used word.  Remember, The Lost Seoul believes that native Korean speakers do not need to emphasize vocabulary.  Just concentrating on widely-used words, and use them correctly.

The correct way to use "stood up" is through the word "by."
(x)  I got stood up from 신미나.
(o)  I got stood up by 신미나. 

Note:  the phrase "stood up" may have the implied meaning of something that was done out of rudeness.  While it does not necessarily imply rudeness, more neutral ways exist to express this.
(o)  My student didn't show up at the agreed time.
(o)  I may have miscommunicated with my student.  He/she didn't show up.

The Lost Seoul

0 comments:

Post a Comment