Friday, November 19, 2010

영어 Hint of the Day #24: RT @Fr33S0ul: "건성으로 듣다. I listen to someone in an absent sort of way." Wrong.

Recently, I read this on Twitter.
RT @Fr33S0ul:  건성으로 듣다. I listen to someone in an absent sort of way.

This is a gramatically incorrect sentence.  As has been posted here, and here, learning English via Twitter doesn't always work.  That is particularly true when the teacher is not fluent.

Correct translations of "건성으로 듣다" would be:
(o)  I am only partially paying attention to what is being said.
(o)  I am only partially listening.

The reason that the sentence "I listen to someone in an absent sort of way" is that the word "absent" is an adjective which only describes nouns.  However "건성으로 듣다" requires a description of the word "listen," which is a verb.  In order to describe a verb, the word must be an adverb, not an adjective.  Therefore, the use of the word "absent" in the translation, "I listen to someone in an absent sort of way" cannot be correct. 

As usual, you can expect loud tirades (with no reasoning attached ) in response to this blog entry.  The Lost Seoul's response?
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."  -W. Shakespeare

0 comments:

Post a Comment