Saturday, February 19, 2011

영어 Hint of the Day #34: "To be honest with you..." the word "Candidly" is better

"To be honest with you..." is a frequently used phrase
Admittedly, this has always been a strange phrase.  It is quite common.  When you are talking about a topic in which there may be a difference in opinion, or when the facts may be unknown, then people frequently use the phrase "to be honest with you."

Examples:
A.  To be honest with you, I think that black doesn't look good on you.
B.  To be honest with you, I think that the KARA is better than SNSD.

Actually, I try to avoid this phrase.  Why?  The reason that I do not use this phrase is because then there may still be doubts about my sincerity.  For example, if I said "To be honest with you, this option is best."  Well, does that mean that there was even the possibility that I would not have advised you of this option otherwise?  When someone else says this phrase, I wonder to myself, "Was he not being honest earlier?"

Instead, I prefer to say "candidly," or "frankly."  You can use either word instead of the phrase "to be honest with you."
(o)  Candidly, I think that black doesn't look good on you.
(o)  Frankly, I think that KARA is better than SNSD.
 
Notes:
This could have been a phrase in "Slang of the Day," but it is now established as a phrase which cannot be called slang.  Most native English speakers will know the meaning of this phrase.  That said, the phrase isn't appropriate for formal writing.  It could be said that it shouldn't be used in formal speaking, like a presentation, but the fact is that listeners probably will not be affected.

0 comments:

Post a Comment