Wednesday, September 29, 2010

영어 Hint of the Day #7: Imply vs. Infer

영어 Hint of the Day #7:  Imply vs. Infer

If used correctly, imply and infer are two very good words.  They are simple, elegant, and can correctly state how you think or can accurately describe some event, or people's reactions/thoughts.  Please try to use these very important words.  However, you need to avoid the error of using them as if they mean the same thing:  they are not the same at all.\

To imply can only be done by the messenger.   For example, “While speaking, she implied that she was the best.”  The meaning is that she did not directly say that she was the best, but the language she used was delivered so that the listener would understand that she believe that she was the best.

(x)  During her speech, Young-Ah inferred that she was a good learner.
(o)  My student implied that I was a great teacher.

To infer can only be done by the listener / reader.  For example, “I inferred that Mark was not smart.”  The meaning is that I believed that Mark was not smart as a result of something Mark may have done, or something Mark may have said.

(x)  During her speech, Young-Ah inferred that I was a great teacher.
(o)  When Young-Ah spoke, I inferred that she thought that I was a great teacher, and that she was in love with me.  However, when I tried to kiss her, I found out that I was wrong.  Ouch!

0 comments:

Post a Comment