Saturday, October 30, 2010

영어 선생 Hall of Shame Entry #1: "chitchat" is barely used, and definitely NOT in a business setting.

영어 선생 Hall of Shame:  "chitchat" is barely used, and definitely NOT in a business setting.

I saw a post of this sample dialogue on the Internet here.
There are two things about this dialogue that I believe are inappropriate in a business setting.

The word "chitchat" is almost never used, even in casual English among friends.

(x)  I hope I will have an opportunity to chitchat with you all later.
(o)  I hope that I will have the opportunity to meet with you all.
(o)  I hope that I will have the opportunity to personally speak with you all later.

The Lost Seoul has made some recommendations on native Koreans can improve their English.  The list can be found here.  One of the key points is that there should not be a focus on vocabulary.  You have already been overwhelmed with word lists, vocabulary books, etc.  Most are NOT USED.  In Korean, the language changes, the phrases and uses change, and at a far faster pace than in English.  There is no need for useless phrases, such as "chitchat."

http://www.ciobiz.co.kr/, you are the winner of a position in the 영오 선생 Hall of Shame.

http://www.seoulgyopoguide.com/
www.twitter.com/thelostseoul

0 comments:

Post a Comment