Saturday, October 2, 2010

영어 Hint of the Day #10: Farther or Further. Which one is correct? Not as hard as it seems.

Here are some simple examples of how to use the word "farther."

(o)  I ran for 3 km, and then I ran even farther.
(o)  I can hit a golf ball farther than my mother.

Here are some examples of how to use the word "further."

(o)  I loved the beautiful girl, and wanted to take our relationship further.
(o)  I hope that the Kospi rises further.

What is the difference, and how do you always use the correct word?
It is actually not that difficult.  There is one rule to follow and if you do that, then everything will work.
If you can put the words "more miles/more km" instead of the word farther, then it is correct.
If you cannot put the words "more miles/more km," then further is correct.

Look at the examples above, and you will understand.
(o)  I ran for 3 km, and then I ran even more kilomters.  (It is correct, so "farther" should be used).
(x)  I hope that the Kospi rises more kilometers.  (It is incorrect, so "further" is the correct word).

Please subscribe ro send me an email:
www.twitter.com/thelostseoul
http://www.seoulgyopoguide.blogspot.com/
thelostseoul@gmail.com
skype id:  thelostseoul

0 comments:

Post a Comment