Thursday, October 28, 2010

영어 Hint of the Day #18: (x) I am John, and I approve this message. Why? The word "approve" isn't that easy.

In the U.S., the first Tuesday of November is Election Day.  If you watch TV in the U.S. these days, the airwaves are filled with politicians who are campaigning. I just saw a commercial, and was appalled to hear a grammatical error..

(x) My name is John, and I approve this message.

This is wrong.

(o)  My name is John, and I approved this message.
(o)  My name is John and I approve of this message.
(o)  My name is John, and I am in approval of this message.

Each of these three alternatives is correct, and I think that the one that you should try to learn is second example.  It is the most consistent of the three. 

www.twitter.com/thelostseoul
thelostseoul@gmail.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment